Yoga for the Sinuses

I am happy to write this blog after returning from about 10 days of having an angry sinus infection, which seemed like a battle that was never going to be won throughout those 10 days.  

When we are sick the body gives us tell tale messages of slowing down, resting, and disengaging from the normal daily routine.  This is common sense yes, but when our mind is usually on multi-task mode and our body is used to being physically active, this can cause caught a challenge.  I admit that even though I teach yoga I am not the best at slowing down and taking it easy.  This is my "pitta" dosha (if you are familiar with the ayurvedic term...if not click here.. http://www.yogajournal.com/health/ayurveda/

After a few days of feeling like my sinuses were pounding across my face and trying to stick to my daily yoga/workout/teaching routine, my ego had to surrender because I was not feeling any better.  There is no way the body can heal itself when you are continuing to be super active...it's like expecting your car to drive fast when you have a flat tire.  It ain't gonna happen!  

The beauty of the physical aspects of yoga is that there are styles out there which lend themselves to releasing and relaxing the whole body, such as restorative yoga/yin yoga/yoga for the lymphatic system and of course meditation.  I will share some of my favorite postures/movement exercises that I encountered on my healing journey...these may seem like simple exercises that you have done to warm up the body before a workout, but they are extremely effective in getting the circulation going and boosting your immune system..

Circular movement within the joints..Move slowly with the breath

~Shoulder circles front and back
~Rotating the head and the neck
~Rib cage circles in both directions
~Sitting in easy pose (legs crossed) and rotating the torso
~Ankle circles
~Laying on back with knees hugged in and dropping knees to right and left


Some other yoga poses to try for the lymphatic system:

~Lateral side stretch sitting in easy pose
~Simple spinal twist done seated (right hand behind you, left hand to your right knee, look over rt shoulder and reverse)
~ Easy forward fold (may take head to a block)
~Triangle pose
~Easy flow of reverse warrior and extended side angle
~Wide leg forward bend with head on block
~downdog with head on block
~Child's pose of course!!!

There are many others, but those were my favs I experienced. 

Here are a few other natural home remedies and such that helped me recharge...
~Drinking lots of herbal teas, especially those with fresh raw ginger, mint, and clove
~Cooking with spices such as cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, and fennel. 
~Avoiding extremely hot or cold beverages/foods
~Avoiding dairy since the food has qualities of heaviness and stickiness (you dont want any more of that if you are already congested) 
~Eating lots of foods enriched with vitamin A and C. 
~Inhaling steam infused with eucalyptus oil.  (Super easy..boil some water with a few drops of the essential oil then create a tent by putting a towel over your head and breathe in and out).  Make sure to take the pot off the burner before doing this..dont want to set that towel on fire!
~2 words...NETI POT!!!


And that is what helped my sinuses win the battle and allowed  me feeling victorious once again!  One thing I will say for being sick is that you FULLY appreciate your health after feeling quite terrible for days.  We all need to experience the darkness sometimes to find gratitude for the light!  And that is the balance of life! 

Cheers to your health!  NAMASTE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food for thought! How is your life’s appetite?

The Cowgirl Yoga Experience: Yeehaw and YeehAUM!

Julie's Spring/Summer Yoga Schedule